Friday, November 27, 2009

Going... Going...

Kez and I have just returned from Pring (the QRNational Coal depot I am assigned as a driver to).

Things have changed a little since I was there last. There is a new Yard and Crew Superintendent. Greg Dixon replaced the Yard and Crew Supervisor (Greg Cubit) who had been there since I started. He seemed genuinely friendly and happy to see us, even if the occasion was to be a little morose. Apparently he had heard my name around the depot a number of times but really had no idea of what was happening until the letter of retirement came across his desk. He called me on Monday to ask if I was able to attend Pring today.

Along with Greg was Simon Smart, the newly appointed General Manager for Coal North. He approached us immediately and engaged Kerry in conversation. He seems like a genuinely good person and both he and Greg seem like a step in the right direction for the Depot and employee relations. Time will tell though I suppose.

It was an interesting day to say the least... I was presented with my letter of Medical Retirement, signed by the Chief Executive Officer of  QRNational Coal, so I suppose that's almost it. My official finishing date is December 3... I was also given a small book they had made of my (albeit brief) career with QR, including all of my training and qualifications... It was a nice touch...

Speaking with my soon-to-be former co workers at times made me think I was glad to be leaving, however there are complaints to be had in any workforce I imagine (there was in CSR too and they were similar) so it was a day of mixed emotions for me.

Driving out of the Depot for what was to be the last time and watching a fully laden Coal Train traverse the overpass north of Merinda was truly a moving experience and made me realise the attachment and affinity I feel to my chosen profession. I will miss it dearly...

So, we're off to Townsville tomorrow to help friends move... Well, sort of... I will be setting up the AV gear at the new house and doing general supervision; apparently I'm not to help them actually MOVE anything... From there I will be staying at Megan's house until Thursday while Kez and the girls return home. I have a swathe of appointments at the Hospital to get through including MRI's and the like; I'll let you know how it all goes when I get back (if not before)...

Well, have fun everyone...

Cheers,
Jason...

No comments:

Post a Comment